Monday, January 5, 2009

Sarah: Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Yambear is making a zine, and over the past couple of weeks we've been trying to come up with a tagline for her. Also, because I bugged Amber till she said yes, I might be contributing to the zine, perhaps with an advice column à la Nicole Georges (because I am a font of wisdom, maturity, and responsibility). So I selfishly want a tagline too. I feel very strongly that if I have a kickass tagline I will be able to paint the tabula rasa of this year all kinds of crazy cool. Yambear and I discussed it, but nothing has really stuck. "Sarah: maybe a vampire?" and "Sarah: hates your eyebrows" were mentioned, but they're both a bit too hostile for my tastes.

Sarah: In space no one can hear you scream.
Sarah: Love means never having to say you're sorry.
Sarah: The truth is out there.

But for reals, people. Any suggestions? I need outside advice. I enjoy Luke's at TBTL: "Luke Burbank never met a Band of Horses song, soft taco, or poker game he didn't want to be a part of." I think if I were to appropriate this for myself, it would be "Sarah never met a Wolf Parade off-shoot band, green chile tamale, or outdated board game she didn't want to be a part of." Except maybe replace "outdated board game" with "MMORPG." Just kidding! But I would feel bad just brazenly stealing someone else's tagline. I'm over my plagiarism phase. That's so 2006 (sorry Trinie Dalton and Shelley Jackson! I mimicked the hell out of you).

Also, I've been thinking: If I had to live inside an album cover from 2008, which one would I pick? I mean actually live there, like if I was somehow zapped and transported into the artwork. Like when cartoon characters turn a corner and find themselves in Dalí's The Persistence of Memory and freak out. I think I would live in M83's Saturdays = Youth, just because the light is so nice and the teenagers so willowy, and then I could borrow those skeleton pajamas and the wolf hat and talk about records with that Molly Ringwald clone. Or maybe David Byrne and Brian Eno's Everything That Happens Will Happen Today because holy cow it's The Sims! Living in this album cover may be a blinding pixelated hell, or it may be awesome. I'm predisposed to think it'd be awesome. Or maybe I'd just hang out in the Fleet Foxes cover because, you know, I wouldn't get bored. And I'd be medieval.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first thought was M83. Thise teens are just so fabulouslu fug-hip. And it looks like one of those nice spring/fall days where you can wear a sweater or a t-shirt and both are comfortable.

Anonymous said...

my suggestion:

Sarah: In space no one can hear you scream. or light you on fire. (i learned that from you and firefly)

did you steal this from the x-files?
Sarah: The truth is out there.

Sarah: wrestles her own dark octopus...oh wait, i just stole that from mcsweeney's

as for the album cover, i think you know what i would pick for you, and it involves a baby in converses and a lake of blood. not as pleasant as M83 but more interesting, i expect.

Amber said...

Sarah: will kill for kale.

but yes. that is rather hostile.

...but you know my favorite one. i think it should be that one.

and for me? how about:
amber: she has tiny hair.