Sunday, November 9, 2008

gone

RIP hard drive. All of my writing from May 2007 to present is gone, lost to that ephemeral world where I imagine all digitally-trashed files go. I haven't yet decided if I want to pay $300-900 to recover my files (eeew, are you crazy, Mr. Mac Shack guy!?), as all of my music, pictures, and older stories were safely tucked away on Em's external. (Speaking of older stories, why did I write so many poems about giraffes in 2006? Mystery)! 

So I guess the only things *really* gone are my newer stories and poems and that one weird file labeled simply "various" that contained mostly funny pictures/videos/etc I've gleaned from the webs (so long, photos of cats dressed in Harry Potter scarves and videos of singing muppets). 

I cried on Friday in the Mac store when I found out it was all gone. Lesson learned. My new hard drive will be guarded more stringently than Minas Freaking Tirith.

So, to the point of this longwinded, Biden-esque explanation of the death of my hard drive: please, please, please let's start some sort of exquisite corpse/writing group/something. It can be totally casual, and we can do it IRL but also do some sort of email-y thing to include those of you who are lost to geography. I don't care. I really just want to write some new stuff with my friends. 

Okay. Neato. Let me know.

"... a quiet, meticulous waiter who had the sad airs of a man long accustomed to the spectacular demolition of dreams."

5 comments:

Amber said...

I have your honors thesis like I said, which will hopefully soften the blow... I'm so sorry. I would've cried, too. I say yes to exquisite corpse. We can have an inconvenient meeting at my apartment. I'm in.

Anonymous said...

hey, remember when the dog destroyed all *my* fucking files/sent my mac to Steve Jobs-Valhalla while working herself into a frenzy doing laps around the dining room table?

yeah, i remember that.

and after i finish my thesis (decidedly non-creative, unless you include desperately trying to find ways to link Deleuze/Guattari with Bigfoot narratives "creative"), I'm in.

Also, there's this, which Will showed me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBxgAmdPQWg&feature=related

Anonymous said...

i just wanted my computer back so i could write on your blog. (nice lotr reference. i was totally thinking the ivory tower or castle thing in neverending story III/free willy looked like a spikier minas tirith but i didn't want to say anything lest i embarrass myself for the hundredth time this week [at least i didn't start laughing and spit food at the tv while we were playing smash brothers, right?])

but don't worry, i still have all the hp lolcats and starbuck is the new rob ross pictures you've ever sent.

it's like, i can always get it to the rim, but i can never finish.

Anonymous said...

Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPRB4XF74-Q

I lost all of my music a few years ago and I wept like a drunk coed who just realized she lit the wrong end of her cigarette at the geek squad counter.

Also, I enjoy writing. Yep.

Amber said...

In other news, we should probably go get our acne taken care of.

I cannot concentrate right now. I've probably spent more time on the internet than working on my prints. Wah. I suck.