Monday, September 22, 2008

the unruly beloved emu

I haven't posted in a while. I've been busy (kind of. I've also spent a lot of time flâneuring 'bout the town). Et, je suis paresseuse.  A few big things:

Firstly, Four Corners. Aug 29-31. Friday I emceed the late night stage, then overdid it a bit on the partying (Scott ran down the street naked and got the cops called on us; Marykate subsequently yelled "The strippers are here!" when the cops knocked on the door), so Saturday was a little more low-key. Well, until the evening, when I slipped and fell in the mud dancing to the Punch Brothers, emceed the late night stage again, and listened to the jams until 3:30 a.m. Sunday, despite (or perhaps because of) the rain, was the best day: two-stepping with a bit of swing dancing under the tent. That's all that I need to say. For those of you who missed it: come next time! For those who were there: high five! See you next year. I'll be the one with a bottle of Maker's Mark in one hand and a mic in the other (just kidding, I don't drink while I'm working. Complete professional, I am, sir).

Secondly, Dennis and Gretchen are MARRIED! Sept. 6, in Sedona (well, in between Sedona and Flagstaff, I guess). They were married in a sun-filled red canyon, and Emmy and I played in a nearby creek before the ceremony. I've never been hiking in a dress before. "I'd like to introduce you all to Mr. and Mrs. Jones!" 

Thirdly, I moved back to Boulder. Yes, I live here now. My house has a wonderful backyard and two apple trees, and Emmy has named the squirrel who lives outside Winslow. 

Fourthly, the Monolith Festival, Red Rocks, Sept. 13 & 14. I'm surprised I didn't have a seizure from sensory overload. Jumping from the Avett Brothers to Justice in less than six hours takes a finely-tuned mind and surly demeanor (and I posses both). Also, I discovered that sevenish pulls from the Tullamore Dew bottle IN THE CAR before the festival starts may be excessive; verdict's still out on that one.

So, I apologize for ignoring this little bloggy. Sorry for being a bad mom, bloggy. But to the approximately 2.5 people who read this blog, rejoice! For the first time since, well, since Paris, I've been writing (non-work writing, that is). It's just a bunch of little fragments right now, worthy of papier maché projects, at best. But still, I'll put in a concerted effort to post here more regularly. Surprisingly, chugging two mugs of coffee (like literal, desperate, throat-scalding chugging) and driving nonstop to Flagstaff for the wedding provided me with a lot of writing material. For example: a giant, bloated, dead white cow on the side of the road that Sean mistook for a polar bear. Priceless.

In the meantime, a poem I really love: the unruly beloved emu. Are you the reverse stork of gorgeousness?

4 comments:

Amber said...

Can't wait to read something new of yours. You better break my heart!

Anonymous said...

not sure if you've seen this already or not:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_10372695

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm the 0.5 of the people who read your blog. Do I get to read your new stuff? Because you're, like, one of my favorite authors. You and that Amber Smith. Love you...

Anonymous said...

Excessive? Actually, I'm not going to comment about that... I'm excited to see what you are writing, like the other 2.5 +1. Maybe we will actually do some collaborative someday soon! I've got some ideas for those prints for you too, and hopefully I'll start making them soon once there's a minute to spare!